Monday, August 5, 2013

BIG YUM'S TOP 20 90s R&B ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

This is an era that will never be duplicated!  Every decade has it's own sound of R&B but the 90's is arguably the best to ever do it.  Now this list may be debated a just a little bit, but I think the masses will agree.  #SWBY

20.  ADINA HOWARD- DO YOU WANNA RIDE
Adina Howard music just made you wanna be nasty.  I don't know which one was more valuable to her career, "Freak like me" or "T-shirt and panties".  It doesn't matter she made a well-respected list because of it.
LISTEN TO "FREAK LIKE ME" HERE:



19.  TEVIN CAMPBELL-I'M READY
Tevin Campbell had to make the list all four of his albums were made in the 90s.  This album was a hit.  I mean you got "Can we talk", "I'm ready", and "Shhh" on there, need I say more?
LISTEN TO "CAN WE TALK" HERE:



18.  FAITH EVANS- FAITH
Faith Evans was headed to the top until it seemed she couldn't get her mind right because of B.I.G. needless to say you gotta fell this album.
LISTEN TO "SOON AS I GET HOME" HERE:



17.  JON B- COOL RELAX
"They don't know" and "Are you still down" carried this album.  A smooth album it was.



16.  DESTINY'S CHILD- THE WRITINGS ON THE WALL
A group that features arguably one of the greatest female entertainers of all time starts here.
LISTEN TO "BILLS, BILLS, BILLS" HERE:



15.  112- ROOM 112
These boys made a lot of noise dropping this album.  Diddy know how to pick em.
LISTEN TO "ANYWHERE" HERE:



14.  AALIYAH- AGE AIN'T NOTHING BUT A NUMBER
I don't know if I still feel comfortable with R. Kelly on the cover with this title and his alleged history but he broke the mold with Aaliyah and this album.
LISTEN TO "AGE AINT NOTHING BUT A NUMBER" HERE:



13.  GUY- THE FUTURE
Guy named this album "The Future" because obviously they knew that after the 90s.  We would be listen to this again.
LISTEN TO "LET'S CHILL" HERE:



12.  HI-FIVE- HI-FIVE
Hi-Five should have been giving each other Hi-Fives after this classic.
LISTEN TO "I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE" HERE:



11.  TONY TONI TONE- SONS OF SOUL
Even though I had a heated debated with myself between this album and "The Revival" album I rolled with this one because you can't beat "Anniversary".
LISTEN TO "ANNIVERSARY" HERE:



10.  USHER- MY WAY
When you watch Usher's "Behind the Music" you can understand why this would be top 10.  Plus all I keep visualizing is when Usher performed "You make wanna" on Parent Hood(laughs).
LISTEN TO "YOU MAKE ME WANNA" HERE:




9.  DRU HILL-ENTER THE DRU
Great Album.
LISTEN TO "THESE ARE THE TIMES" HERE:



8.  SWV- IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME
SWV was live and so was their music.
LISTEN TO "I'M SO INTO YOU" HERE:



7.  SILK- LOSE CONTROL
They were just live.  Their music spoke volumes in the bedroom.
LISTEN TO "FREAK ME" HERE:



6.  JANET JACKSON- JANET
"Anytime, Anyplace" and it's Janet, I mean who is going to argue this?
LISTEN TO "ANYTIME, ANYPLACE" HERE:



5.  LAURYN HILL- THE MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL
Lauryn Hill's could have made ten more of these albums and been a legend in the game.
LISTEN TO "EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING" HERE:



4.  D'ANGELO- BROWN SUGAR
Why did D'Angelo have to go crazy?
LISTEN TO "LADY" HERE:



3.  MARY J. BLIGE- WHAT'S THE 411
Mary J. Blige had four good albums of the 90s.  It was tough as hell picking one but I just rolled with her debut even though "Share My World" was tough.
LISTEN TO "REAL LOVE" HERE:



2.  KEITH SWEAT- KEITH SWEAT
Many said he whined in his music, still can't take away the fact he jammed.
LISTEN TO "NOBODY" HERE:



1.  R. KELLY- 12 PLAY
I know everyone had to know that this would be number one or did everybody think I left R. Kelly off the list?  I still gets busy in the bedroom to this album.
LISTEN TO "SEX ME" HERE:





HONORABLE MENTIONS
I really could have did a Top 50 of this category but I kept it small.  I'll give you five more albums to round out a top 25 and maybe I'll do another one to give you 25 more classics.

H-TOWN-FEVER FOR DA FLAVOR
ERYKAH BADU- BADUIZM
EN VOGUE- FUNKY DIVAS
BOYZ II MEN- II
DONNELL JONES- WHERE I WANNA BE

1 comment:

  1. I’m a big fan of R&B music and when I discovered Palm Beach Broadcasting’s R&B station, I was the happiest person on earth. My stereo is always tuned on X102.3 www.thex1023.com . You can stream live or download all your favorite R&B music.

    ReplyDelete